Week 12 | Women in Comics

3:08 PM

Lumberjanes


Lumberjanes is a wacky tale of five girls at scout camp trying to make their way through the summer and not get devoured by supernatural creatures. Heck, they'll kick butt along the way and show what FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX really means.

Man, there's not much I can say other than that this comic is pure fun! It's got crazy monster and girls kicking butt in the name of friendship! Plus, it's a comic about women, written by women, and drawn by women, what more could I ask for?!


The cast of characters is so diverse and wonderfully vibrant, you just end up falling in love with each one of them. It's got all kinds of awesome representation going on: women of color, women loving women, gender expression, etc. None of the girls are ever looked down upon either. Just because Mal gets anxious, Molly is shy, or Ripley is... Ripley, they all have their own strengths that are necessary for the group to succeed. It's incredibly diverse and it's amazing to see a comic like this in an industry filled with white men at the helm. This kind of representation is super awesome and I love how it's presented in a comic open for all ages to read. I'm so happy that there is something like this out there for girls who are growing up now.

I actually read the first volume of Lumberjanes a few years back (Dear past Ida, why did you not keep up with this series!?), so reading it again made me remember just how much it rules. I feel like I just don't have enough words to convey how much it rules. Because it rules. A lot.  I really just love everything about it. It's actually kind of scary how much this comic lines up with my sense of humor (Give me bad puns and I'm sold). I literally cannot say anymore than this is a work of pure love and fun on part of the creators. I'm just so so so glad that this exists. 

(Now Hollywood, don't fuck this one up)

You Might Also Like

0 comments