Week 11 | Contemporary Graphic Literature
12:17 PM
Asterios Polyp
Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli is big in ambition and scale. There's just so much to take in from the story to the art to the characters and their idiosyncrasies, it's hard to grasp everything from one read through. So now here's my thoughts as someone who's only read it once!
The comic is a coming-of-age story of Asterios Polyp, a famous "paper" architect. Unlike most coming of age protagonists, Asterios is a middle aged man facing a mid-life crisis after his house burns downs from a lightning strike. Goes to show, it's never too late for someone to grow up. He's hardly a likable character: arrogant, self-centered, and egotistical. Everything he says is the truth and right; at least that's what he thinks. He thinks in a black and white world, where there are only two sides to any coin. Hence why his design only lends himself to only face towards two directions, left or right.
I'll be outright and say I wasn't a fan of his character at first, and I think that was the point. I didn't like the Asterios who was a jerk and wouldn't quit talking over every other person. That was the old Asterios though. Mazzucchelli intercuts between past and present, where we see old Asterios juxtaposed to new Asterios, more soft-mannered and easy-going. It's an immediate way to show how much he's changed his way of thinking. If I had to stay in a room with old Asterios, I would deck him in the face. New Asterios is someone I wouldn't mind talking to. It really makes his change all that more satisfying when we get to the end, where he reconciles with his ex-wife, Hana.
The art is crazy. The character designs are graphical and streamlined, just enough to tell us everything we need to know at a first glance. Each person is also given their own unique lettering and art style which adds to their personality. There's a lot of depth to these what look like flat drawings.
When I said this comic is a lot to take in, it's a lot to take in. There's so much underlying meaning hidden in it that I know I need to give this comic a second read through. Maybe this time though I'll read when it's not 4 AM and I'm actually conscious. Though I have to say, there's something quite relaxing about reading Asterios Polyp in the dead of night when everyone is silent.




0 comments