Week 6 | Underground Comix

11:49 PM

Whoo. Underground comics are a real crazy ride alright. Disturbing, political, and oh-so damn horny, we talking underground comics for sure.

I read Mr. Natural first, which started off pretty normal and became so absurd so quickly. The racist depictions of black people, an overgrown baby sucking off Mr. Natural, suffice to say, I was pretty uncomfortable after I was done reading it. I guess that means it did its job as an underground comic.

In class, I read Corn Fed, which featured wacky, outlandish short stories that were usually resolved by sex in the end. My favorite line from it was, "You look like a million bucks (and a million fucks)," which genuinely made me laugh to myself. Again though, it kind of felt similar to Mr.Natural where it just relies on shock value to make sex some kind of punchline.

The third comic I read was The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers: The Idiot Abroad, which I enjoyed the most out of them all. I was actually surprised by how much story played a role and how well done the art was. This is definitely an underground comic that focuses on the political aspect rather than the sexual aspect, which was nice that I got to experience two different types of work. Compared to the other two comics I read, the art was much more sophisticated. What struck me the most was how detailed and rendered the backgrounds were, becoming illustrative.

I was pretty surprised by the variety of content in underground comics. There's definitely a lot to explore, but personally, underground comics are definitely not my cup of tea. Though I can politely see how they fit into the comic history timeline as an important influence on modern day comics.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Mr. Natural sounds weird as hell. I'm definitely motivated to pick up Corn Fed just for that one line of dialogue you mentioned, just because it made me crack up too!
    I really like the way you write, it's really casual without being too informal. You've got a great tone of writing!

    ReplyDelete