Week 5 | Graphic Novels

11:22 PM


Today's read of the week is brought to you by Blankets by Craig Thompson.

Blankets is an autobiographical graphic novel published in 2003 that recounts Thompson's childhood and adolescent years. Thematically, it focuses on Thompson's struggle with his religious identity in a devout Christian household and his experience with first love. The narrative is deeply personal and it shows in the way Thompson is able to describe events with such detail, as if he were experiencing these moments all over again for the first time. In a very romanticized way at least, but I'm a sucker for that sentimental, cheesy, overly-personal mush. The story's got a lot of heart to it, and that's what I love in a story. Even though Blankets' story is rather mundane, I think that's okay because real life can be mundane.



What's not mundane is the art, which is flipping amazing, hecking fantastic, holy hot frying fritters gosh darn beautiful. I think you know something's good when you just can't find the right words to put together to convey all the things you want to say. So instead you just come to the point where you end up frantically gesturing towards the whole thing and saying, "Look!" It's dynamic. It's expressive. It looks exactly like how it should feel.



I was reminded a lot of This One Summer, another coming-of-age type graphic novel that sits in my bookshelf back home, by Jillian and Mariko Tamiko. Both of them deal themes of adolescence and growing into sexuality. Plus, the art is also fantastic in the way it manages to capture those everyday-life moments, much like Thompson's art. Curious, I looked into it, and it turns out Craig Thompson's Blankets played an influential role in several of Jillian's and Mariko's works. It was really nice to then read Craig Thompson's review on This One Summer and how much he loved it.

In the end, I'm sad I pushed off reading Blankets, but so glad I finally got the chance to curl up in bed and read it in one go.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I completely agree! Reading blankets was super interesting and abstract visually, but because of the emotion and gesture put into the work, it makes it easy for readers to connect with the work. It's hard to explain, but everything thats drawn just has this feeling to it that makes the reader have the same emotion as the main character. This reading reminded me a lot of the graphic novel Stitches, By David Small, in the idea that its kinda just a story about someones life, and the ups and downs that come with it. (Stitches being a cancer surviver story rather than a coming of age tale.) But both are amazing at making the reader sympathize and understand what the characters are going through using visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the great Rock Lee would say, this post epitomizes the springtime of youth. I can feel Neji's gentle hands all over these beautifully-crafted sentences, such as "holy hot frying fritters gosh darn beautiful". The only thing that would make this better would be curling up with a hot bowl of endless ramen with Naruto and his faux dad haircut as we discuss the mundaneness of life while reading Blankets.

    ReplyDelete